Where are they now? An interview with alumnus Yong Wang ‘12

Where can ESSEC’s Global MBA take you? A year after graduating, alumnus Yong Wang ’12 shares his experience on the MBA blog.

What drew you to study with the Global MBA?

My previous professional experience showed me that my knowledge of business functions and operations was insufficient. Meanwhile, I was pretty interested and eager to seek further education in business administration. Among all the countries, I preferred France as a destination, so the Global MBA from the renowned business school ESSEC was naturally a perfect option. The Global MBA is an elite cohort with classmates coming from different countries with diversified educational and professional backgrounds, which gave me extraordinary insights on topics that I had never touched on before on a global scale.

Could you describe your career path since your graduation from ESSEC?  What is your current role and its responsibilities?

During my MBA, I was determined to find a job as a consultant.  Fortunately, I achieved my goal by getting hired by Ries&Ries (China), a marketing strategy consulting company that is a global leader in marketing consulting worldwide.  I am now working as an associate in Shanghai and am regularly in touch with many influential Chinese entrepreneurs and companies from different regions and industries.  My current responsibilities include performing market studies, collecting information, doing data analysis and preparing reports.

Was there anything in particular about the Global MBA that helped you prepare for your career path or qualify you for your current position?

The tangible and measurable professional knowledge I gained in marketing and strategy laid a solid foundation for seeking a job in consulting.  More importantly, the Global MBA equipped everyone with intangible and immeasurable skills, such as thinking globally, critical analysis, and an entrepreneurial attitude, which are far more crucial for dealing with job interviews and later work performance.

What advice would you to give to our new students who are just entering the program?  What advice would you give to our new graduates who are beginning their job search?

For the new batch, please take full advantages of the time in school—-seize the day and keep learning.  Value the interactions with professors, discussions with classmates, lessons from invited guests, presentations during company treks, relationship-building in networking events, and expeditions abroad during study trips and the IIPs, which turn out to be priceless later on.

For the new graduates who are hunting for a job, please be confident, patient and persistent.  It takes time to find the ideal job.  The journey is tough, sometimes frustrating.  Nevertheless, enjoy the journey and never give up.  Again, be confident, patient and persistent and you will get what you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment